[aklug] Re: Starting a Wireless Connection

From: James Zuelow <e5z8652@zuelow.net>
Date: Thu Apr 02 2009 - 06:38:22 AKDT

On Thursday 02 April 2009, Christopher Howard wrote:

> Grrr... I think I'm going to start a Boycott Broadcom site.
>
> Thanks for the help. I found out that there are no native Linux drivers
> for the Broadcom BCM4306, so I had to go the Ndiswrapper route. I got
> Ndiswrapper installed, and then the Windows broadcom drivers, but no
> difference - knetwork-manager still can't configure the device.

I have that same card in my HP DV9013.

Does ndiswrapper -l show your card as being installed?

If you don't want ndiswrapper in the mix, then `apt-get install b43-fwcutter`
will get the firmware for you. Then you can uninstall ndiswrapper and your
card will use the Linux drivers.

> Although, I should say... the card itself could be dead. I remember the
> former owner once complaining about having issues with it under Windows as
> well.

What are you seeing in dmesg or /var/log/syslog in reference to the card?

> I think I'm going to have to go the Wireless USB adapter route. (I have a
> morbid dread of PCMCIA.) Fortunately there is the linuxwireless.org site
> that provides some good listings for Linux compatible USB adapters. Any
> personal preferences?

All my wifi cards are PCMCIA. :)