[aklug] ATI Info / Programming Recommendation

From: Brian ThunderEagle <thundereagle@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon Mar 23 2009 - 16:32:00 AKDT

First off, I found that although Linux Mint provides an ATI driver that works with a lot of things out of the box, I had serious issues when trying to play PlaneShift and Regnum Online. I eventually found out that the included driver doesn't have support for more advanced features. If you have an ATI card and have graphics related problems, get the drivers from ATI's website. They work in Linux Mint where they didn't in Ubuntu 8.10 for some reason.

As for programming I was wondering if anyone had experience with GDK/GTK or OpenGL. Preferrably OpenGL, I need mostly 2D instruction emphasis not pure 3D work, not ready to jump to 3D programming just yet. I prefer C# but will take C++ reference as well. Any suggestions, opinions, or questions please feel free. I was looking at "Developing Linux Applications, with GTK+ and GDK" but it has a lot of bad reviews and is a fairly old book(1999).

     - Brian ThunderEagle
     - thundereagle@hotmail.com