[aklug] Re: The end of Sun?

From: Royce Williams <royce@alaska.net>
Date: Wed Mar 18 2009 - 16:30:59 AKDT

Damien Hull wrote, on 3/18/2009 3:29 PM:
> There's nothing special about Sun. Hasn't been in the past 9 years or so. This is an opinion from someone who never really used it. Why run solaris when you can run Linux and do the same thing?

There may be nothing special about Sun at the workstation or small
server level, but big iron and Grid have some significant heft when done
well. There's also something to be said for unified OS architecture -
both positive and negative. :-)

> I wonder what IBM will do with it if they buy them.

Combine R&D, and also throw their database people in bed together, probably.

Royce