[aklug] Re: Amazon + Jungle Disk = awesome off site storage

From: Joshua J. Kugler <joshua@eeinternet.com>
Date: Wed Mar 18 2009 - 13:06:19 AKDT

> $0.15 a Gigabyte! And it works in Linux! And it has a command-line
> only version! And it has a 64-bit software version!
>
> (Christopher stops typing for a few minutes while his co-worker
> performs CPR.)
>
> So, what's the catch? Do you have to give up your first-born or
> something?
>
> So you had to pay extra for rsync option? Otherwise does it use
> webdav, or what?
>
> And that should be about 122339 seconds, or about 34 hours, right?
> (Didn't double check that...)

I've been using S3 for a while now "directly." I have a setup for my
parents that backs up their computers to a local server using bacula,
and then syncs the bacula volumes up to S3 at night via the Ruby
utility s3sync. Works very well. You don't need jungledisk, but it
does make it a little friendlier.

Joshua Kugler
Part-Time System Admin/Programmer
http://www.eeinternet.com