[aklug] Re: Video Capture Software

From: Kevin Miller <atftb2@alaska.net>
Date: Fri Mar 13 2009 - 17:31:56 AKDT

James Tweet wrote:
> Does anyone know of a good video capture software?
> I'm running Ubuntu 8.10.

I use SUSE, and a Hauppauge 250 and capture from the command line. I
replied earlier from work but didn't do a "reply all" so it didn't hit
the list.

Gist of earlier post was to look into ptune.ui - handy little perl
utility to setup and control the various channels & cards.
http://ivtvdriver.org/index.php/Ptune-ui

The Hauppauge card captures to mpg format rather than raw video that the
video editors like. Oh well. I could transcode it to a raw avi but I
haven't gotten around to it.

Here's my notes for capturing from my camcorder:
Start ptune
        NTSC S-Video 0
        ntsc-cable 1 1

Use S-Video cable, with audio cable in left and right channels on the
camcorder.
The audio cable should be in the Hauppauge card, not the sound card.

At the CLI:
        cat /dev/video0 > filename.mpg

Start the camcorder.
Press Control-C when done.