[aklug] Re: shell script and cron trouble

From: Arthur Corliss <acorliss@nevaeh-linux.org>
Date: Fri Mar 13 2009 - 09:02:39 AKDT

On Fri, 13 Mar 2009, Damien Hull wrote:

> Well, I have the free version of zimbra. It's my understanding that the com=
> mercial version is the only one that lets you do "hot" or "live" backups.=
> =20

Gotcha, that may be true, I am maintianing a licensed copy.

> There's just enough space on the /home partition for a backup or two. I'll =
> have to look at log files later today. I'm hoping there's a log file with s=
> ome useful info...=20

You can always have your script save its own output. In crontab add the
following to your command:

    1>/root/backup.log 2>&1

If your cron isn't e-mailing you the output this would allow you to see
everything's that happening in cron via the log file.

         --Arthur Corliss
           Live Free or Die