[aklug] Re: shell script and cron trouble

From: Arthur Corliss <acorliss@nevaeh-linux.org>
Date: Fri Mar 13 2009 - 08:45:13 AKDT

On Fri, 13 Mar 2009, Damien Hull wrote:

> The following shell script runs fine if I run it manually. If I setup a cron job it ends before tar finishes. Well, that's a guess but the resulting backup is too small. It's also a bad tar file. I hope someone can tell me why it isn't working.

As an aside: why are you doing your backups this way? Zimbra provides daily
incremental and weekly full backups by default configuration without downing
your mail services. And you'll avoid backing up all the spurious log
archives, etc., which no value from a disaster recovery perspective.

Zimbra is a very ugly hack of a stack, but the backups they've generated
have been reliable.

BTW: Are certain you have enough space for the backup? I noticed that
you're doing an uncompressed backup, so you're going at least an equivalent
amount of space. cron should mail you the output of any jobs producing
them (on either STDERR or STDOUT), so I'd check for any errors reported by
your script or tar...

         --Arthur Corliss
           Live Free or Die