[aklug] Dell Server RAID

From: <rony@gci.net>
Date: Thu Mar 12 2009 - 08:30:33 AKDT

Just a note to hopefully help someone in the future.
We have a pair of old Dell 4400 servers that we use. We have a RAID 5
set up for the volumes and swap the drives out quite often. We had a
warning that one of the BIOS batteries was low, so swapped it out. Upon
powering up, we found that the integrated RAID controller began failing
it's self test, giving errors for "Parameter: eePROM key checks." During
a chat with Dell, the analyst suggests replacing the RAID DIMM, then the
RAID key, then the motherboard. Ordered all of this to get the system up
ASAP - but not from Dell (mobo was $850). All of this provided no help,
same error! More digging after the server was down a week or so provided
the link below. Seems that if you do not have a Service Tag number in
the BIOS, the server motherboard works fine with the exception that the
integrated RAID controller is dead. We found the program asset.com and
ran it as sugested in the discussion. Fixed it right up.

http://lists.us.dell.com/pipermail/linux-poweredge/2004-March/013846.html

Hope this helps someone!
Ron Yeager