[aklug] Re: The first open source village...

From: Christopher Howard <choward@indicium.us>
Date: Fri Feb 27 2009 - 22:31:26 AKST

On Fri, 27 Feb 2009, Damien Hull wrote:

> Their description of them selves is awesome.
>
> http://openfarmtech.org/index.php?title=Main_Page
>
> --
> Damien Hull
> Linux Ninja
> Open Source Assassin
>
> http://linuxninjas.tv
> http://elite.linuxninjas.tv
> http://www.digital-overload.net

http://openfarmtech.org/index.php?title=Proposal_2008_Economic_Base

Hmmm... I'm all for open source software and sharing technology
specifications. But the core idea here seems to be rather shaky: every
local operation is supposed to have their own high tech laboratory where
they produce every type of machinery they could possible need.

"The alternative approach, according to the same book, is flexible
specialization, where 'skilled workers used sophisticated general-purpose
machinery to turn out a wide and constantly changing assortment of goods
for large but constantly shifting markets.' It leads to civilization where
people gain the capacity to meet their needs without invoking the
compromises of mass production."

I don't really see how their "neosubsistence" is an improvement over mass
production.

Then there is this point about "localization":

"Localization reduces the need for relying on uncontrollable external
forces for 100% of one's needs. This system reliance is destructive if it
involves the compromise of giving up one's true desires, powers, and
freedoms."

While I see localization as a good thing in many contexts, specialization
also seems like a good thing. For example, what if I just want to be a
computer programmer and live in a comfy subburb, rather than learning how
to farm, how to make machine parts, how to produce my own energy, etc.?

"With low cost equipment and software, one is able to produce or acquire
such equipment at approximately $5k for a fully-equipped lab with metal
working, cutting, casting, and electronics fabrication, assisted by open
source CNC. It is precisely this ~$5k Open Source Fab Lab10 equipment
package that we are developing as part of this proposal. We are not
talking only of the product of small crafty objects or electronics, but of
the type of heavy machining required to fabricate heavy equipment."

I'm a /little/ skeptical. Okay, so we build these $5000 labs all over the
planet... How long is it going to take to churn out that combine we need?
Who staffs the lab? Does the staff have to be trained? Paid?

"This proposal is an explicit program for deploying the Fab Lab as a
foundation, and for deploying a key set of 16 products as a natural
byproduct. These technologies serve as the essential infrastructure
requirement for building communities by producing food, energy, fuel,
materials, housing, transportation choices, electronics, and other
devices. The scope of the products includes essentially everything that is
required to create as self-sufficient economy focusing primarily on local
use of resources. This is our proposition for addressing many structural,
pressing world ills."

Local use of resources is nice... but what do you do if all the resources
you need aren't locally available?

And again, is a $5000 tech lab going to be able, even with access to the
best information, to produce the community's "food, energy, fuel,
materials, housing, transportation choices, electronics, and other
devices" better than specialized factories?

Well, I suppose if they aren't able to make this economically feasible,
they'll just collapse under the weight of real-world economic pressure.
Unless, of course, they are able to receive funding from the Federal
government...

Well, now you guys can beat me up for being naive and over-simplistic.

--
Christopher Howard
http://indicium.us