[aklug] intersting vmware behavior

From: Greg Madden <gomadtroll@acsalaska.net>
Date: Thu Feb 19 2009 - 14:21:20 AKST

This issue has hit me, I use Vmware WS 5.5.4, Linux host, various guests
including Windows & Linux.

After a certain sequence of operations in a vm the modifyer keys on the
keyboard, in the host os, stop working, no caps lock... etc. The keys
still work in the guest. AFAIKT switching the vm to full screen mode
does this here, I have read references to a combination of mouse activity
and keystrokes will do this.

Good news bad news :-), The good, I learned what xmodmap and setxkbmap
are doing on my box,they have been hanging around for years without my
noticing. The bad is I need to run 'setxkbmap' after a full screen vm
session to get a fully functional keyboard. Using 'xmodmap' , before and
after this issue, shows all the keyboard modifyers being erased, then
restored by setxkbmap.

--
Peace
Greg Madden