[aklug] Re: OS Detection & ssh version

From: Richard Moore <dewey.moore@gmail.com>
Date: Wed Feb 11 2009 - 21:05:32 AKST

I am a system admin for a mid size business in milwaukie Oregon, However I
am from alaska, and have only been down here for a couple years. In order to
PCIDSS compliant, you have to be scanned quarterly by one of the certified
scanners on the list, who is given a more indepth list of everything that is
considered a vulnerbility. All of our servers have custom kernels, and
everything on them is built from source, because debian does a bad job in my
opinion of keeping things upto date. i.e php5 the latest release I believe
debian has is php5.2.3 I want to say for etch. I am running 5.2.7 because
5.2.8 was recalled. I see that as being outdated. The only vulnerabilities
that were detected in our system. was OS detection from nmap, and they just
said that as long as nmap could detect the OS on your system it is a
vulnerbility. The second risk, is that ssh gives the build, and that is a
security risk.
I am sorry I do not care if someone is going to try and hack into our
webservers, they are not going to get very far. Seeing as our webservers are
on a different dmz than our ERP system, they do communicate, but they
communicate through a MySQL database, which uses a php script that we wrote
on a seperate server to get info that the webservers put into the database,
and transfer to the ERP system. So they are going to have to get into the
webserver through the second server and then into the ERP, even then all the
information is stored in a MySQL CLUSTER. Which all vital information is
encrypted, and can only be unencrypted with the wonderful 128 character key.

Sorry for the tangent, but I really do not see the point of half of these
new PCIDSS compliant issues.

Richard