[aklug] Re: Run Boot-Time Scripts in Parallel in Ubuntu

From: Shane R. Spencer <shane@bogomip.com>
Date: Mon Jan 26 2009 - 13:17:53 AKST

Arthur Corliss wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Jan 2009, Shane R. Spencer wrote:
>
>> A context switch is faster than running ssh and checking for exit status
>> and then immediately running nfs-kernel-server right after it. and so on.
>
> I think you're missing the point. Not running these new fancy init systems
> I don't know how they're verifying dependent services (wouldn't it be much
> simpler to to spawn a subshell and to a 'status' call on the requisite init
> scripts?), but that's not germane to multitasking 101. Multitasking on a
> single core (assuming all other things being equal) will never be faster
> than multitasking on multiple cores -- unless your particular task is
> extremely sensitive to cache latencies. But I hardly think that applies
> here.

Ah, I understand what you're saying. I just poorly attempted to point
out that you don't need a multi-core system to take advantage of
concurrency. There's no reason for a system to stall while ssh starts
if it's dependencies are in place.

As for runlevel dependencies.. there is an LSB specification for how to
implement them.

Forever Yours,
Shane

-- File: signature.asc