[aklug] Re: MS wipes out Linux installation for savings

From: James Tweet <jamestweet@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon Jan 19 2009 - 16:44:02 AKST

Does anyone know why did the server trashed my message?

Let's try this again.

Ok, where should I begin. Let's start with the article's author. Did anyone else look at his profile? He is "Originally a Math/Physics graduate who couldn't cut it in his own field." From reading this article I think it was the math that gave him problems. To properly write an article like this you should have a degree in finance, business or accounting.

Article Quote:
"As far as I know the only way to make sense of this is to assume that
it took at least eight more people to run the 30 Linux servers than it
does to run the 12 Windows ones -after all the money didn't go for
reinvestment, it didn't go for hardware, third party support, or
software, so what else is left?"

I can easily see how 8 people would be needed to run 30 Linux servers. There would be 2 people per shift just to deal with any problems on the Linux servers or network. Then you would have a manager and an assistant manager. That would constitute the e-commerce department.

Article Quote:
"As they found out, however, Linux isn't Windows and changing to Linux on a one to one OS replacement basis only because it's cheaper is about as dumb as it gets."

If you can't replace Windows machines on a one for one basis. Then Linux will never be a major competitor to Microsoft, period.

If using Linux would require a major infrastructure change in most I.T. departments. Then most I.T. managers would not opt for a Linux solution.

James