[aklug] Technical terminology about filesystems

From: Christopher Howard <choward@indicium.us>
Date: Thu Jan 08 2009 - 13:33:03 AKST

Could someone help me clear up some terminology issues in my mind? It
would help me with some research I'm doing for this app I'm coding.

Let me know if I have this correct (in a *nix context): the term 'file
system' refers to the format of a partition (ext2, ext3, ntfs, et cetera).
And file systems must be mounted on a 'virtual file system' in order to be
accessible to the system. And each computer system has only one virtual
file system.

And a 'directory tree' can refer to the entire structure of the virtual
file system, right? Or does a 'directory tree' only refer to the
file-list of one directory file?

--
Christopher Howard
http://indicium.us