[aklug] Re: heading towards a windows domain

From: Jim Dory <jdory@nomealaska.org>
Date: Fri Dec 05 2008 - 10:53:05 AKST

barsalou wrote:

> I agree with Steven in principal. However, there are a couple of =20
> solutions that have yet to be mentioned. One is terminal services. =20
> This could be used to limit the amount of Windows servers that ARE on =20
> the network and every client out there that I know of can use RDP to =20
> get connected.
>
> Second alternative is VMWare. If we are trying to say we can only =20
> have one operating system or the other...then this point is mute, =20
> however, you could setup a server (or servers) to run these =20
> applications in a VMWare session.
>
> In addition to providing a solid operating system to house these VM's, =20
> it provides a mechanism to propogate or redeploy without the hassle of =20
> hardware changes that inevitably come down the pike.
>
> Granted there is some learning curve here.
>
> Let's also not forget Xen or VirtualBox...but at the moment, VMWare =20
> seems to be the leader.
>
> With a good virtual machine environment, you can get a lot done with =20
> less money.
>
> Just my two cents as well.
>
> Mike B.

Thanks for that Mike,

I've used vmware-server on my home gentoo machine for a few years,
having recently switched to virtualbox when I had some problems with
vmware. (Caused in part by an incomplete backup restore). I've used it
mainly to run photoshop/Bridge and autocad, but also testing a few linux
distros out.

Be fun to give some of these technologies a try here at work.

cheers, Jim

--
Jim Dory
Engineering