[aklug] Re: heading towards a windows domain

From: Jim Dory <jdory@nomealaska.org>
Date: Tue Dec 02 2008 - 16:48:15 AKST

Richard Moore wrote:
> I am a system admin for informal education products, down in milwaukie
> oregon. We are currently using samba / ldap as our "Active Directory."
> However I would not recommend this if you want your job to be in anyways
> easy. First it was a pain in the bumm to set up, and with the current
> changes to it, you have to constantly make changes. I would not recommend
> using it until they release samba 4. I have samba 4 the beta with all the
> patches set up on a testing server. It works amazing well, and will do
> nicely to compete with the active directory once it is finished. However it
> may be a few more years until they get it to how they want it. I would leave
> email and data storage on the linux machine, and just mount the shares on
> the windows computer, and use active directory as the Domain controller. But
> this is just my opinion, if you decide to go with using samba, let me know,
> and I can help you get it set up and running.
> Richard Moore
> Sys Admin
>
> On Tue, Dec 2, 2008 at 12:32 PM, Jim Dory <jdory@nomealaska.org> wrote:

Thanks for that Richard!

Good to get data points as I research this. Sounds like Samba 4 may be
awhile though I was hoping since Microsoft is now supposedly helping
them by opening up some APIs (last I read anyway) that things could
speed up. But you're probably correct in not counting on it.

cheers, JD

--
Jim Dory
Engineering