[aklug] regarding permission bits

From: Christopher Howard <choward@indicium.us>
Date: Wed Nov 19 2008 - 16:19:47 AKST

I just wanted to make sure I was understanding something correctly. I
know that how to set 9 bits of file permissions, like so:

chmod 755 myfile

This changes the bits to 111 101 101. And each 3 bits represents read,
write, and execute permissions.

But there is another three bits before those, right? And those are the
UID, GID, and sticky bits, right? So chmod 7755, for example, would set
those three
bits to true, correct? Let me know if I am misunderstanding how this
works.

Also, as a point of curiosity: I've seen that some files (like
directories) have a 'file
type' character. Does this take up the space of a full character? Is it
like a 1 byte C char; or is this just a system representation of a smaller
set of bits? And is there a way I can manipulate those bits?

--
Christopher Howard
choward@indicium.us