[aklug] Re: text-based email-clients

From: Christopher Howard <choward@indicium.us>
Date: Mon Oct 20 2008 - 16:38:14 AKDT

barsalou wrote:
> Quoting Christopher Howard <choward@indicium.us>:
>

>> I remember that some of you guys once said that you were old fogies that
>> live out of an 80x25 terminal. :)
>>
>> What text-based mail clients do you use? I'm looking for something that
>> allows access to multiple IMAP accounts (and makes it fairly easy to add
>> the accounts). Cone looked really cool, but it didn't seem to allow me
>> to use an IMAP server that had a self-signed security certificate, which
>> just happens to be the case of my main IMAP account. Mutt also seemed
>> nice -- but it looks like I would have to research how to add the IMAP
>> account to the config files (if I can find them).
>>

> Being an old fogie...I like pine...except I'm not so sure that it is =20
> maintained anymore...not that it really needs to be.
>
> I think there are others that like mutt.
>
> I'm surprised google doesn't have anything to say on the subject.
>
> Mike B.

Already did a fair amount of googling... that's how I found out about
cone, mutt, pine, and alpine. And I've tried them all a little bit. I
was just curious what your experiences had been. (And if any of you
used IMAP with a text-based client.)

Up until now, I've always used GUI clients (Thunderbird, Icedove, and
Claws-mail), and its always been pretty easy to setup an IMAP account
with one of these. But I like living inside of a text-based environment
as much as possible. It was the coolest thing ever when I figured that
I could switch between virtual terminals with Ctrl-Alt F1, etc.

--
Christopher Howard
choward@indicium.us