[aklug] Re: Debian sources.list examples

From: Leif Sawyer <lsawyer@gci.com>
Date: Mon Oct 06 2008 - 07:54:37 AKDT

James Zuelow writes:
> Mozilla has trademark restrictions on their logo that=20
> prevents Debian from backporting patches to older versions of=20
> their software. So Debian renamed everything and builds from=20
> source without the logo. Sunbird is IceOwl in Debian. Looks=20
> like it is in etch-backports and Sid. I'm not sure why Lenny=20
> doesn't have a build.

Actually, this has recently been cleared up. =20

Mozilla and the EFF worked closely together to redesign their license
agreement, and you'll find on all new versions of the browser that there
is no more click-through-EULA.

Additionally, they've separated the 'services' from the browser, and
that has helped with them being able to shrink the EUL itself.

"The Latest on the Firefox EULA Matter"
http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=3D20080917045510597

"Mozilla comes through!"
http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=3D20080919113727960

Yes, I've not mentioned specifically the trademark. But the -use- of
the trademark within the context of the EULA and redistribution was what
I understood the issue to be, and since they've cleared up the EULA,
there shouldn't be any issue with the trademark.

Although, there still may be some truth to the rumor that DEB just used
it as an excuse so they could disable the auto-updates on the browswer
so that all patches had to go through the Debian repository. Hard for
DEB to maintain that it is still the official Mozilla browser in that
case, which means that if they were, and were redistributing with the
official Moz logo, DEB was in violation.