[aklug] Re: Windows XP antivirus software

From: Royce Williams <royce@alaska.net>
Date: Wed Sep 24 2008 - 11:19:09 AKDT

Unless something has changed -- and I have 0.94, which appears to be
the latest stable on Windows -- ClamAV is a user-initiated-only virus
scanner with email scanning hooks, but is not a full, real-time
anti-virus solution.

ClamAV does run natively, and it even has a little widget that sits in
your system tray, but that widget does not represent an active daemon
that scans every file as you access it (the "dynamic scanning" I was
referring to), but instead just makes it easy to initiate scans.

It scans emails, but will not scan an executable on startup, for example.

But hey! I just learned something:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clamav#Microsoft_Windows

Apparently, Winpooch can be used to do the real-time part! I've never
tried it, but it looks interesting:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winpooch

Maybe we should drop this Windows thread; it may be annoying the folks
who are posting on topic. ;-)

Royce

--
Royce D. Williams                                   - http://royce.ws/
I like a view but I like to sit with my back turned to it.  - G. Stein