[aklug] Re: Does this phone work here?

From: Ryan <carbonfreeze@gmail.com>
Date: Sun Sep 21 2008 - 15:43:27 AKDT

On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 15:19:07 -0800
barsalou <barjunk@attglobal.net> wrote:

> I don't know enough about telephone technology to understand for
> certain that this phone would work on one of the networks offered in
> Alaska.
>
> Anyone have enough knowledge about that to say for certain that this
> phone would work?
>
> http://www.neopwn.com/hardware.php
>
> Mike B

The only service provider I am aware of that has 3G service is ATT, and
I'm not sure if they will let you use your own phone. You might have
to buy a phone and swap the SIM card. The area your going to get a
signal is going to be reduced as well, because most of the towers
outside Anchorage are CDMA/TDMA; you can thank ACS for that. Signal is
decent in Wasilla, Anchorage, and *some* of the kenai peninsula. ATT has
a service map on their website, IIRC. Outside of that, your SOL (use
VOIP+wifi, if you can find an access point). I almost picked up a Neo
when they were released, but the area where I live in Wasilla has crap
3G signal. Not to mention ATT charges 1c/KB! for data.

I picked up an N810 instead -- its adequate for pentesting once you
jailbreak it or install debian.