[aklug] Using cups and Windows

From: barsalou <barjunk@attglobal.net>
Date: Sat Aug 16 2008 - 15:58:09 AKDT

Just thought I'd share a little about a recent issue I was having =20
printing with Windows to a Cups server.

Most of us know by now that you can configure a windows port to point to:

http://yourserver:631/printers/yourprinter

And that printing to the cups server will work fairly well.

There is an issue with mime.types, but it is easily fixed.

However, I was using a Vmware Win2K client that I could not get to =20
print to this server.

All my other machines, MAC's, PC's, other Linux boxen could print =20
fine...just not this one VM.

Turns out, I didn't have the right printer driver. So it would =20
pretend to print, but nothing would come out.

In this case, I figured this out by using one of the Apple Color =20
Laserwriter drivers.

"But Mike", you say, "Why would you use the Apple driver when you have =20
a HP4215xi?".

At first I was having trouble locating the HP driver (I have it now), =20
so this was my alternate choice.

It prints the test page just fine, but likely I'd run into some =20
printing issues down the road from the VM. But the main thing is that =20
it proved I could print from the VM.

There were some other access issues that needed buttoning down as well.

I'm happy to share more specific issues if folks are interested...

Mike B.