[aklug] Ubuntu 8.04: printing with default SMB printing tool

From: Christopher Howard <choward@indicium.us>
Date: Thu Jul 31 2008 - 16:35:58 AKDT

Hello. I may have mentioned this earlier, but I've been to trying to
get a Linux box running Ubuntu 8.04 (the one joined to AD) to print to a
Windows network printer. I did get it working, but there is one issue
I'm trying to work out. I was hoping one of the Ubuntu fans on this
list might be able to help me.
When setting up a connection to an SMB printer, Ubuntu requires a valid
domain account and password to be entered at set up. This account and
password is apparently reused by the system each time any user tries to
print to the SMB printer.

This was not a problem at first, because I just provided my own user
name and password, and things seemed to work great. However, a few days
later I changed my domain password (as I do regularly), and the Ubuntu
machine was no longer able to printer to our SMB printers. Apparently
Ubuntu continues to try and use the old password.

I could make a request to management for a permanent,
linux-printing-only account that does not have a changing password. But
the first thing they would ask me is: "Why? None of the Windows and Macs
need that." And then they would say "We'll think about it..." and
probably put it off for three months. :(

Would anyone know of some way I could change the configuration so that
Ubuntu simply uses the credentials of the domain user who is logged in
and trying to print? Or perhaps, it could simply ask the user who is
logged in to provide a user name and password?

-- Type: text/x-vcard
-- File: choward.vcf