[aklug] Question: open source and the workplace

From: Christopher Howard <choward@indicium.us>
Date: Wed Jul 30 2008 - 11:32:59 AKDT

Hello. I was wondering about something...
I'm something of a beginning programmer -- mostly Perl and C++ so far.
I'm also a big fan of open-source. I despise software patents and would
prefer (in a perfect, ideal world) that every thing that I ever coded
was open-source.

I applied for this entry-level programming job recently. Its mainly
database/web programming and software testing, for an educational
institution. However, the job posting didn't say anything about licensing.

What I was wondering is, in a real world environment, how do those
licensing issues work? That is, when a programmer comes onto a job
site, does the employer automatically have the final say in all matters
of licensing? I suppose that, if one is building on a proprietary
package, than the new code is proprietary. But say that your boss asks
you to design a new web-site or processing script. Does the license to
the code automatically belong to him, or just the implementation of it?

I was hoping that someone on this list had experience with the issue, or
had read something about it.

-- Type: text/x-vcard
-- File: choward.vcf