[aklug] Re: Uses for Old Computers?

From: Aaron A. <akbeancounter@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed Jul 16 2008 - 09:27:18 AKDT

--- On Mon, 7/14/08, I wrote:
> Still open to suggestions for the other rig

Yeah, about that... I think I spoke too soon. Apparently we'd already wipe=
d and given away the first computer, and the second one is both older and l=
ess functional than I thought it was.

I sort of inherited this computer from a former roommate, so I had only gue=
ssed at its specs earlier.=A0 It's an off-the-rack NEC Ready 9887 (Pentium =
II 350 MHz, 64MB RAM expandable to 384MB, DVD-ROM, hard drive reportedly fa=
iled Summer 2000, looks like somebody tried to take it apart. Assuming har=
d drive is FUBAR.) According to the former owner, I was right insofar as i=
t ran Win98 in its later years, but it was very slow. Long story short, I'=
m dealing with the standard bargain-basement computer of 1996.

Even with no upgrading, though, the computer appears to meet the minimum re=
quirements for FreeNAS.=A0 Add'l RAM is available by mail-order for $30 per=
 128MB, which puts it on my "nice to have" list. The former owner doesn't =
care what I do with it; she assumed I'd have dissected it by now.=A0 If I h=
ave to buy memory and additional hard drives*, this starts getting into "ju=
st buy a NAS appliance" territory. As it stands now, though, the project w=
ould be cheap and educational.

--
Aaron A.
akbeancounter@yahoo.com