[aklug] Uses for Old Computers?

From: Aaron A. <akbeancounter@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon Jul 14 2008 - 08:57:54 AKDT

So I'm moving across town, and once again I find myself faced with the problem of figuring out what to do with my old computers.  I have two (perhaps three) functional desktop computers sitting around collecting dust.  I don't know the exact specs off the top of my head, but one started with Win98, then was upgraded to Me and later XP.  I believe the other one could do the same if I could/wanted to buy a license (it's currently running 98.)  So they're not terribly old, just not very new either.  I expect they'd run just fine under most versions of Linux.

Assuming that my current computers work just fine, do y'all have any suggestions for how to use these computers?  I don't know much about servers, but I'm willing to learn.  I wouldn't know what to serve, though; I'm not interesting enough to warrant my own website or anything like that.  What else, then?  Grid computing?  Donate to a school or youth club?  Onto the recycling pile?

--
Aaron A.
akbeancounter@yahoo.com