[aklug] Re: DNS Exploit

From: Mike Tibor <tibor@tibor.org>
Date: Fri Jul 11 2008 - 07:28:30 AKDT

On Wed, 9 Jul 2008, Leif Sawyer wrote:

> 1) Check to see if you're vulnerable using the website
> www.doxpara.com
>
> 2) If you are, you can upgrade to the latest bind patch level
> from ISC.
> or
> 3) you can wait until your vender issues a patch.
>
> 4) You can enable DNSSEC on your server. This really will
> mitigate the entire issue.

I must be missing something important. I dismissed this whole thing
initially because I routinely disable recursion on nameservers except for
those networks that actually need it--I've done this for years because I
consider it part of basic server hardening. I realize of course that many
appliances don't allow you to do this, but I don't use those.

Naturally I've already patched all my boxes, but what am I missing here?
I can only conclude that either disabling recursion isn't a valid
workaround, or it's considered so unusual that I'm one of the few people
in the world who do it.

Mike