[aklug] Re: Joining active directory: progress report

From: James Zuelow <e5z8652@zuelow.net>
Date: Wed Jun 04 2008 - 09:31:47 AKDT

On Tuesday 03 June 2008 05:40:47 pm Christopher Howard wrote:

> I'm not sure exactly what is causing this, but there is a '$' after
> 'BUN319-L01' (the computer name) that shouldn't be there. The $ sign is
> not showing up in any of our config files, so I'm not sure how to get
> rid of it.

That just means it is a machine account, to differentiate it from a user=20
account.

Does Mandriva have a samba docs package?

=46rom the questions you're asking I think these links would be helpful:

http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba_&_Active_Directory

http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/domain-member.ht=
ml

(specifically:

http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/domain-member.ht=
ml#ads-member

for a discussion of active directory vs. NT4 domain.)