[aklug] Re: printer

From: Stephen King <sking@chartercollege.edu>
Date: Tue Jun 03 2008 - 14:49:28 AKDT

> Suggestions?

Sure. Whiskey numbs the pain a little. I prefer the Irish type, but =
probably anything off the shelf will work.
=20
Might be helpful if you mentioned which linux you need it to work =
perfectly with. Linux/printer driver writers/printer =
manufacturers/software authors may have improved in the past four years =
since I went through the pain myself, but somehow I kinda doubt that my =
prayers for interoperability have been answered. I set up a small =
office where one worker refused to use anything but Xandros and the =
other insisted upon RedHat. They were both professionals, so they both =
got their way. Canon is, or at least was, the most generally =
well-supported make of printer by Linux, so I tried getting two =
identical Canon printers. They both kinda sorta worked, but trying to =
then get them to print from Word Perfect required two completely =
different minor miracles. Of course, they were deskjets, which end up =
being fairly disposable in heavy-use environments, so I got to go =
through the fun recursively about every 9-12 months, each time with a =
different printer, until I finally decided that maybe IT consulting =
wasn't my "thing" anymore.
=20
PS--don't eat the manual in frustration. It's your only friend. :-)
=20
Stephen King