[aklug] Re: OpenWRT

From: Joshua J. Kugler <joshua@eeinternet.com>
Date: Wed May 21 2008 - 10:57:58 AKDT

On Wednesday 21 May 2008, barsalou said something like:
> Has anyone in the group done anything with OpenWRT?
>
> My rebooting problem with the DI-624 is still happening and I'm
> considering getting a new router.
>
> However, it seems that some of the routers have been removing
> functions that I'm used to having and so I started to consider the
> OpenWRT project and ones like it.
>
> I prefer the smaller footprint hardware devices instead of building
> an entire regular PC, so IPCop and other similar projects aren't
> interesting in this discussion, unless of course I can overload that
> stuff on one of these commodity hardware routers/firewalls.

We use OpenWRT as our border router on an Asus unit (forget the model at=20
the moment). Never had a day of downtime that wasn't my fault. :) =20
Right now it's sitting at 123 days of uptime. This is on a T1=20
connection, so no PPP(oE), so I can't comment there.

We use dnsmasq for DNS caching and DHCP. Never had any problems. I=20
ditched the web interface long ago, since our zones are a little beyond=20
the web interface.

We're still using White Russian. I understand the latest versions are=20
even better. Feel free to ask if you have any more specific questions.

=2D-=20
Joshua Kugler
Part-Time System Admin/Programmer
http://www.eeinternet.com