[aklug] Re: V Box

From: David Prentice <ak.prentice@gmail.com>
Date: Mon May 05 2008 - 22:33:00 AKDT

Actually, Leif's explanation makes a lot of sense for why this just
can't be done easily. It isn't just a matter of migrating the Desktop
and some applications. Oh how simple THAT would be from Linux.

Instead what I'll have Her do is pretend that VirtualBox XP is a "brand
new computer". Heck, XP in Vbox under Linux is faster than XP native. By
far. And I've only given it a pittance of ram and video memory.

No, I'm convinced (thanks Leif!) that my time (and Hers) would be better
spent getting Vbox tweaked a little more kindly so that she can get
GoPets to run.

Yes, geeks, this is all about The Wife's desire to have GoPets run on
Linux. Which may be a moot point, because according to GoPets forums
they're close to releasing a native Linux port of the game client
anyways. But they're always saying they're close to "doing something"
and it doesn't happens.

GoPets is some MMORPG substitute for WOW where your avatars/characters
are goofy little animals and instead of running around pkilling noobs
they learn skills and earn swag. Its servers and backend are all Linux.

Oh, if you decide to join I'll give you her userid so she can earn free
swag for you signing up. Its like crack, kids, so stay away.