[aklug] Some printing fun: CUPS and MS-Vista

From: barsalou <barjunk@attglobal.net>
Date: Sun Mar 30 2008 - 21:26:47 AKDT

It took a little bit, but I was able to make my daughters Vista Home
Premium machine print to my cups printer.

The printer is hooked up to a Linux box and setup as shared. Using IPP
I could print to that printer.

The key things to get it working were to watch the logs (/var/log/cups
- Fedora) and to follow this advice:

Source link - http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=180014

This might be the one where you have to uncomment something in
/etc/cups/mime.convs and /etc/cups/mime.types. It's the last few lines,
saying
#
# Uncomment the following filter to allow printing of arbitrary files
# without the -oraw option.
#

#application/octet-stream application/vnd.cups-raw 0 -

In my case I had to uncomment the 'octet-stream' lines in both config files.

Hope that helps someone.

Mike B.