[aklug] Re: cups and the disappearing printers

From: barsalou <barjunk@attglobal.net>
Date: Thu Mar 27 2008 - 14:56:50 AKDT

Quoting Greg Madden <gomadtroll@acsalaska.net>:

<snip>

> Mike has a good suggestion ..but I will offer my $02 anyway :-)
>
> All the connections on my network (dhcp) here go through a router. The
> printer also, but with a fixed address. All the computers use the
> printer. This way cups is not involved or the workstation the printer,
> in your case, is attached to.

I think Greg is saying that if you are using DHCP for the printer, that
might cause a problem.

In my personal use of cups, my printer is connected through USB, but
the machine itself that is the server(or queue if you prefer) for that
printer has a static address.

The details you provided earlier actually answer some of my questions,
but having specific details about timing and IP scheme, etc, will shed
some new light on this problem.

One other thing, I think I had to allow for IPP traffic for a Vista
machine to print to my printer...more likely than not I could have just
used a JetDirect style connection to it instead.

Mike B.