[aklug] Re: Google and GCI DNS issues

From: <jonr@destar.net>
Date: Wed Mar 26 2008 - 16:57:15 AKDT

Quoting Royce Williams <royce@alaska.net>:

> dhull wrote, on 3/26/2008 3:12 PM:
>> Why am I able to get to Google.com using my DNS server and not the =20
>> GCI server?
>
> This is symptomatic of perfectly healthy caching behavior.
>
> X,000 people are using GCI's servers, so their cache is different from
> yours, which is (I'm guessing) only used by a few people.
>
> Royce
>
> --
> Royce D. Williams - http://royce.ws/
> Protocols with few options tend towards ubiquity. - RFC 2821

So doing a whois I see this for yahoo and for google, did their DNS =20
get hijacked?

whois yahoo.com

Whois Server Version 2.0

Domain names in the .com and .net domains can now be registered
with many different competing registrars. Go to http://www.internic.net
for detailed information.

    Server Name: YAHOO.COM.ZZZZZZ.MORE.INFO.AT.WWW.BEYONDWHOIS.COM
    IP Address: 203.36.226.2
    Registrar: TUCOWS INC.
    Whois Server: whois.tucows.com
    Referral URL: http://domainhelp.opensrs.net

    Server Name: YAHOO.COM.ZZZZZ.GET.LAID.AT.WWW.SWINGINGCOMMUNITY.COM
    IP Address: 69.41.185.196
    Registrar: INNERWISE, INC. D/B/A ITSYOURDOMAIN.COM
    Whois Server: whois.itsyourdomain.com
    Referral URL: http://www.itsyourdomain.com

    Server Name: YAHOO.COM.ZOMBIED.AND.HACKED.BY.WWW.WEB-HACK.COM
    IP Address: 217.107.217.167
    Registrar: ONLINENIC, INC.
    Whois Server: whois.35.com
    Referral URL: http://www.OnlineNIC.com

    Server Name: YAHOO.COM.VN
    Registrar: MELBOURNE IT, LTD. D/B/A INTERNET NAMES WORLDWIDE
    Whois Server: whois.melbourneit.com
    Referral URL: http://www.melbourneit.com

    Server Name: YAHOO.COM.VIRGINCHASSIS.COM
    IP Address: 66.218.71.205
    Registrar: DOTSTER, INC.
    Whois Server: whois.dotster.com
    Referral URL: http://www.dotster.com

    Server Name: YAHOO.COM.TWIXTEARS.COM
    IP Address: 66.218.71.205
    Registrar: DOTSTER, INC.
    Whois Server: whois.dotster.com
    Referral URL: http://www.dotster.com

    Server Name: YAHOO.COM.TW
    Registrar: GODADDY.COM, INC.
    Whois Server: whois.godaddy.com
    Referral URL: http://registrar.godaddy.com

    Server Name: YAHOO.COM.SG
    Registrar: DOTSTER, INC.
    Whois Server: whois.dotster.com
    Referral URL: http://www.dotster.com

    Server Name: YAHOO.COM.OPTIONSCORNER.COM
    IP Address: 66.218.71.205
    Registrar: MYDOMAIN, INC.
    Whois Server: whois.namesdirect.com
    Referral URL: http://www.namesdirect.com

    Server Name: YAHOO.COM.MX
    Registrar: DIRECT INFORMATION PVT LTD D/B/A PUBLICDOMAINREGISTRY.COM
    Whois Server: whois.PublicDomainRegistry.com
    Referral URL: http://www.PublicDomainRegistry.com

    Server Name: YAHOO.COM.MORE.INFO.AT.WWW.BEYONDWHOIS.COM
    IP Address: 203.36.226.2
    Registrar: TUCOWS INC.
    Whois Server: whois.tucows.com
    Referral URL: http://domainhelp.opensrs.net

    Server Name: YAHOO.COM.JOSEJO.COM
    IP Address: 66.218.71.205
    Registrar: MYDOMAIN, INC.
    Whois Server: whois.namesdirect.com
    Referral URL: http://www.namesdirect.com

    Server Name: YAHOO.COM.JENNINGSASSOCIATES.NET
    IP Address: 66.218.71.205
    Registrar: DOTSTER, INC.
    Whois Server: whois.dotster.com
    Referral URL: http://www.dotster.com

    Server Name: YAHOO.COM.IS.N0T.AS.1337.AS.SEARCH.GULLI.COM
    IP Address: 80.190.192.24
    Registrar: KEY-SYSTEMS GMBH
    Whois Server: whois.rrpproxy.net
    Referral URL: http://www.key-systems.net

    Server Name: YAHOO.COM.HK
    Registrar: ENOM, INC.
    Whois Server: whois.enom.com
    Referral URL: http://www.enom.com

    Server Name: YAHOO.COM.ELPOV.COM
    IP Address: 66.21.71.205
    Registrar: DOTSTER, INC.
    Whois Server: whois.dotster.com
    Referral URL: http://www.dotster.com

    Server Name: YAHOO.COM.EATINGFORJOY.NET
    IP Address: 66.218.71.205
    Registrar: MYDOMAIN, INC.
    Whois Server: whois.namesdirect.com
    Referral URL: http://www.namesdirect.com

    Server Name: YAHOO.COM.DALLARIVA.COM
    IP Address: 66.218.71.205
    Registrar: DOTSTER, INC.
    Whois Server: whois.dotster.com
    Referral URL: http://www.dotster.com

    Server Name: YAHOO.COM.CHRISIMAMURAPHOTOWORKS.COM
    IP Address: 66.218.71.205
    Registrar: TUCOWS INC.
    Whois Server: whois.tucows.com
    Referral URL: http://domainhelp.opensrs.net

    Server Name: YAHOO.COM.BR
    Registrar: ENOM, INC.
    Whois Server: whois.enom.com
    Referral URL: http://www.enom.com

    Server Name: YAHOO.COM.BGPETERSON.COM
    IP Address: 66.218.71.205
    Registrar: DOTSTER, INC.
    Whois Server: whois.dotster.com
    Referral URL: http://www.dotster.com

    Server Name: YAHOO.COM.AU
    Registrar: WILD WEST DOMAINS, INC.
    Whois Server: whois.wildwestdomains.com
    Referral URL: http://www.wildwestdomains.com

    Domain Name: YAHOO.COM
    Registrar: MARKMONITOR INC.
    Whois Server: whois.markmonitor.com
    Referral URL: http://www.markmonitor.com
    Name Server: NS1.YAHOO.COM
    Name Server: NS2.YAHOO.COM
    Name Server: NS3.YAHOO.COM
    Name Server: NS4.YAHOO.COM
    Name Server: NS5.YAHOO.COM
    Updated Date: 22-jul-2005
    Creation Date: 18-jan-1995
    Expiration Date: 19-jan-2012

>>> Last update of whois database: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 23:47:44 UTC <<<

NOTICE: The expiration date displayed in this record is the date the
registrar's sponsorship of the domain name registration in the registry is
currently set to expire. This date does not necessarily reflect the expirati=
on
date of the domain name registrant's agreement with the sponsoring
registrar. Users may consult the sponsoring registrar's Whois database to
view the registrar's reported date of expiration for this registration.

TERMS OF USE: You are not authorized to access or query our Whois
database through the use of electronic processes that are high-volume and
automated except as reasonably necessary to register domain names or
modify existing registrations; the Data in VeriSign Global Registry
Services' ("VeriSign") Whois database is provided by VeriSign for
information purposes only, and to assist persons in obtaining information
about or related to a domain name registration record. VeriSign does not
guarantee its accuracy. By submitting a Whois query, you agree to abide
by the following terms of use: You agree that you may use this Data only
for lawful purposes and that under no circumstances will you use this Data
to: (1) allow, enable, or otherwise support the transmission of mass
unsolicited, commercial advertising or solicitations via e-mail, telephone,
or facsimile; or (2) enable high volume, automated, electronic processes
that apply to VeriSign (or its computer systems). The compilation,
repackaging, dissemination or other use of this Data is expressly
prohibited without the prior written consent of VeriSign. You agree not to
use electronic processes that are automated and high-volume to access or
query the Whois database except as reasonably necessary to register
domain names or modify existing registrations. VeriSign reserves the right
to restrict your access to the Whois database in its sole discretion to ensu=
re
operational stability. VeriSign may restrict or terminate your access to th=
Whois database for failure to abide by these terms of use. VeriSign
reserves the right to modify these terms at any time.

The Registry database contains ONLY .COM, .NET, .EDU domains and
Registrars.
MarkMonitor.com - The Leader in Corporate Domain Management
For Global Domain Consolidation, Research & Intelligence,
and Enterprise DNS, go to: www.markmonitor.com

The Data in MarkMonitor.com's WHOIS database is provided by MarkMonitor.com
for information purposes, and to assist persons in obtaining information
about or related to a domain name registration record. MarkMonitor.com
does not guarantee its accuracy. By submitting a WHOIS query, you agree
that you will use this Data only for lawful purposes and that, under no
circumstances will you use this Data to: (1) allow, enable, or otherwise
support the transmission of mass unsolicited, commercial advertising or
solicitations via e-mail (spam); or (2) enable high volume, automated,
electronic processes that apply to MarkMonitor.com (or its systems).
MarkMonitor.com reserves the right to modify these terms at any time.
By submitting this query, you agree to abide by this policy.

Registrant:
         Domain Administrator
         Yahoo! Inc.
         701 First Avenue
          Sunnyvale CA 94089
         US
         domainadmin@yahoo-inc.com +1.4083493300 Fax: +1.4083493301

     Domain Name: yahoo.com

         Registrar Name: Markmonitor.com
         Registrar Whois: whois.markmonitor.com
         Registrar Homepage: http://www.markmonitor.com

     Administrative Contact:
         Domain Administrator
         Yahoo! Inc.
         701 First Avenue
          Sunnyvale CA 94089
         US
         domainadmin@yahoo-inc.com +1.4083493300 Fax: +1.4083493301
     Technical Contact, Zone Contact:
         Domain Administrator
         Yahoo! Inc.
         701 First Avenue
          Sunnyvale CA 94089
         US
         domainadmin@yahoo-inc.com +1.4083493300 Fax: +1.4083493301

     Created on..............: 1995-01-18.
     Expires on..............: 2012-01-18.
     Record last updated on..: 2008-02-18.

     Domain servers in listed order:

     ns3.yahoo.com
     ns1.yahoo.com
     ns2.yahoo.com
     ns4.yahoo.com
     ns5.yahoo.com

jreynolds@AncMpbDell-1:~$ whois google.com
Whois Server Version 2.0
Domain names in the .com and .net domains can now be registered
with many different competing registrars. Go to http://www.internic.net
for detailed information.
    Server Name: GOOGLE.COM.ZZZZZ.GET.LAID.AT.WWW.SWINGINGCOMMUNITY.COM
    IP Address: 69.41.185.195
    Registrar: INNERWISE, INC. D/B/A ITSYOURDOMAIN.COM
    Whois Server: whois.itsyourdomain.com
    Referral URL: http://www.itsyourdomain.com
    Server Name: GOOGLE.COM.ZOMBIED.AND.HACKED.BY.WWW.WEB-HACK.COM
    IP Address: 217.107.217.167
    Registrar: ONLINENIC, INC.
    Whois Server: whois.35.com
    Referral URL: http://www.OnlineNIC.com
    Server Name: =20
GOOGLE.COM.YAHOO.COM.MYSPACE.COM.YOUTUBE.COM.FACEBOOK.COM.THEYSUCK.DNSABOUT.=
COM
    IP Address: 72.52.190.30
    Registrar: GODADDY.COM, INC.
    Whois Server: whois.godaddy.com
    Referral URL: http://registrar.godaddy.com
    Server Name: GOOGLE.COM.WORDT.DOOR.VEEL.WHTERS.GEBRUIKT.SERVERTJE.NET
    IP Address: 62.41.27.144
    Registrar: KEY-SYSTEMS GMBH
    Whois Server: whois.rrpproxy.net
    Referral URL: http://www.key-systems.net
    Server Name: GOOGLE.COM.VN
    Registrar: ONLINENIC, INC.
    Whois Server: whois.35.com
    Referral URL: http://www.OnlineNIC.com
    Server Name: GOOGLE.COM.UA
    Registrar: DIRECT INFORMATION PVT LTD D/B/A PUBLICDOMAINREGISTRY.COM
    Whois Server: whois.PublicDomainRegistry.com
    Referral URL: http://www.PublicDomainRegistry.com
    Server Name: GOOGLE.COM.TW
    Registrar: WEB COMMERCE COMMUNICATIONS LIMITED DBA WEBNIC.CC
    Whois Server: whois.webnic.cc
    Referral URL: http://www.webnic.cc
    Server Name: GOOGLE.COM.TR
    Registrar: DIRECT INFORMATION PVT LTD D/B/A PUBLICDOMAINREGISTRY.COM
    Whois Server: whois.PublicDomainRegistry.com
    Referral URL: http://www.PublicDomainRegistry.com
    Server Name: GOOGLE.COM.SUCKS.FIND.CRACKZ.WITH.SEARCH.GULLI.COM
    IP Address: 80.190.192.24
    Registrar: KEY-SYSTEMS GMBH
    Whois Server: whois.rrpproxy.net
    Referral URL: http://www.key-systems.net
    Server Name: GOOGLE.COM.SPROSIUYANDEKSA.RU
    Registrar: MELBOURNE IT, LTD. D/B/A INTERNET NAMES WORLDWIDE
    Whois Server: whois.melbourneit.com
    Referral URL: http://www.melbourneit.com
    Server Name: GOOGLE.COM.SERVES.PR0N.FOR.ALLIYAH.NET
    IP Address: 84.255.209.69
    Registrar: GODADDY.COM, INC.
    Whois Server: whois.godaddy.com
    Referral URL: http://registrar.godaddy.com
    Server Name: GOOGLE.COM.SA
    Registrar: OMNIS NETWORK, LLC
    Whois Server: whois.omnis.com
    Referral URL: http://domains.omnis.com
    Server Name: GOOGLE.COM.PLZ.GIVE.A.PR8.TO.AUDIOTRACKER.NET
    IP Address: 213.251.184.30
    Registrar: OVH
    Whois Server: whois.ovh.com
    Referral URL: http://www.ovh.com
    Server Name: GOOGLE.COM.MX
    Registrar: DIRECT INFORMATION PVT LTD D/B/A PUBLICDOMAINREGISTRY.COM
    Whois Server: whois.PublicDomainRegistry.com
    Referral URL: http://www.PublicDomainRegistry.com
    Server Name: GOOGLE.COM.IS.NOT.HOSTED.BY.ACTIVEDOMAINDNS.NET
    IP Address: 217.148.161.5
    Registrar: ENOM, INC.
    Whois Server: whois.enom.com
    Referral URL: http://www.enom.com
    Server Name: GOOGLE.COM.IS.HOSTED.ON.PROFITHOSTING.NET
    IP Address: 66.49.213.213
    Registrar: COMPUTER SERVICES LANGENBACH GMBH DBA JOKER.COM
    Whois Server: whois.joker.com
    Referral URL: http://www.joker.com
    Server Name: GOOGLE.COM.IS.APPROVED.BY.NUMEA.COM
    IP Address: 213.228.0.43
    Registrar: GANDI SAS
    Whois Server: whois.gandi.net
    Referral URL: http://www.gandi.net
    Server Name: =20
GOOGLE.COM.HAS.LESS.FREE.PORN.IN.ITS.SEARCH.ENGINE.THAN.SECZY.COM
    IP Address: 209.187.114.130
    Registrar: INNERWISE, INC. D/B/A ITSYOURDOMAIN.COM
    Whois Server: whois.itsyourdomain.com
    Referral URL: http://www.itsyourdomain.com
    Server Name: GOOGLE.COM.DO
    Registrar: GODADDY.COM, INC.
    Whois Server: whois.godaddy.com
    Referral URL: http://registrar.godaddy.com
    Server Name: GOOGLE.COM.CO
    Registrar: NAMESECURE.COM
    Whois Server: whois.namesecure.com
    Referral URL: http://www.namesecure.com
    Server Name: GOOGLE.COM.BR
    Registrar: ENOM, INC.
    Whois Server: whois.enom.com
    Referral URL: http://www.enom.com
    Server Name: GOOGLE.COM.BEYONDWHOIS.COM
    IP Address: 203.36.226.2
    Registrar: TUCOWS INC.
    Whois Server: whois.tucows.com
    Referral URL: http://domainhelp.opensrs.net
    Server Name: GOOGLE.COM.AU
    Registrar: PLANETDOMAIN PTY LTD.
    Whois Server: whois.planetdomain.com
    Referral URL: http://www.planetdomain.com
    Server Name: GOOGLE.COM.ACQUIRED.BY.CALITEC.NET
    IP Address: 85.190.27.2
    Registrar: ENOM, INC.
    Whois Server: whois.enom.com
    Referral URL: http://www.enom.com
    Domain Name: GOOGLE.COM
    Registrar: MARKMONITOR INC.
    Whois Server: whois.markmonitor.com
    Referral URL: http://www.markmonitor.com
    Name Server: NS1.GOOGLE.COM
    Name Server: NS2.GOOGLE.COM
    Name Server: NS3.GOOGLE.COM
    Name Server: NS4.GOOGLE.COM
    Updated Date: 10-apr-2006
    Creation Date: 15-sep-1997
    Expiration Date: 14-sep-2011
> [...]
and Enterprise DNS, go to: www.markmonitor.com
The Data in MarkMonitor.com's WHOIS database is provided by MarkMonitor.com
for information purposes, and to assist persons in obtaining information
about or related to a domain name registration record.  MarkMonitor.com
does not guarantee its accuracy.  By submitting a WHOIS query, you agree
that you will use this Data only for lawful purposes and that, under no
circumstances will you use this Data to: (1) allow, enable, or otherwise
support the transmission of mass unsolicited, commercial advertising or
solicitations via e-mail (spam); or  (2) enable high volume, automated,
electronic processes that apply to MarkMonitor.com (or its systems).
MarkMonitor.com reserves the right to modify these terms at any time.
By submitting this query, you agree to abide by this policy.
         Google Inc.
         (DOM-258879)
         Please contact contact-admin@google.com
         1600 Amphitheatre Parkway
         Mountain View
         CA
         94043
         US
     Domain Name: google.com
         Registrar Name: Markmonitor.com
         Registrar Whois: whois.markmonitor.com
         Registrar Homepage: http://www.markmonitor.com
     Administrative Contact:
         DNS Admin
         (NIC-14290820)
         Google Inc.
         1600 Amphitheatre Parkway
         Mountain View
         CA
         94043
         US
         dns-admin@google.com
         +1.6506234000
         Fax- +1.6506188571
     Technical Contact, Zone Contact:
         DNS Admin
         (NIC-1340144)
         Google Inc.
         2400 E. Bayshore Pkwy
         Mountain View
         CA
         94043
         US
         dns-admin@google.com
         +1.6503300100
         Fax- +1.6506181499
     Created on..............: 1997-Sep-15.
     Expires on..............: 2011-Sep-14.
     Record last updated on..: 2006-Dec-29 14:38:40.
     Domain servers in listed order:
     NS3.GOOGLE.COM
     NS4.GOOGLE.COM
     NS1.GOOGLE.COM
     NS2.GOOGLE.COM
MarkMonitor.com - The Leader in Corporate Domain Management