[aklug] Re: Free online course

From: Aaron A. <akbeancounter@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu Mar 06 2008 - 12:23:31 AKST

--- barsalou <barjunk@attglobal.net> wrote:

> I ran across this link the other day. This is a
> beginner Linux course.
>

> [hefty big link]

Thank you. I've been using Linux as my day-to-day
operating system for a month or two now, and probably
my biggest frustration is that the OS* just kind of
assumed that I already knew how to configure
everything and which commands do what.

Brand X isn't much better in this regard, but I could
have avoided several hours of pain if they'd included
a readme file**. Maybe one of these days, when I
actually know what I'm doing, I can work on that
myself.

-- A.
* I have a desktop running Ubuntu 10.1, and a laptop
running Vista & SuSe 10.3. Hardware compatibility
issues prevent me from using the same distro on both.

** In case anybody's thinking "RTFM," it took a fair
amount of research before I knew where to /find/ TFM.
That's the kind of "getting started" information that
I believe is needed.