[aklug] Re: Network Set Up Project

From: Bob Cortez <rjcortez@gmail.com>
Date: Wed Feb 13 2008 - 17:39:59 AKST

This is where my ignorance really starts to show. Thanks in advance for
your patience.
Kevin Wrote:
Add the server to the /etc/host file of the box you're trying to connect
from.

Make sure that sshd is running on the server. Or VNC server.

It is a good idea to disable ssh v1, and disallow root logins on the
server. Access the server via ssh as a normal user, then either su or
use sudo once you're there.

I found the /etc/hosts file but I don't know what format the information
should be in. Here's the content of my hosts file:

127.0.0.1 localhost
127.0.1.1 mysticventures-laptop.cortez-ross

::1 ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0 ip6-localnet
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
ff02::3 ip6-allhosts

How do I determine if SSHD or VNC is running on the server? Security issues
are the next thing on my list.

Tom Wrote:
You might also take a look at FreeNAS for your file server:

http://www.freenas.org/

I think I'm ok with Samba now, but I'll include the suggestion in the write
up.

Mike Wrote:

> Try using the IP address instead. Then if that does work, we can work
> on the other problem.
>

> Also note that there are debug switches for ssh that can help you with
> problems like this one....although from your description, it seems like
> DNS issue.

What IP address should I be using?

Thanks again everyone.