[aklug] Friday's Monthly presentation: VMWare Player

From: barsalou <barjunk@attglobal.net>
Date: Tue Feb 05 2008 - 17:17:24 AKST

Just a reminder that this Friday is the Monthly presentation and I'll
be presenting VMWare Player.

WHEN: Friday the 8th of February, 7:00pm - 9:00pm

WHERE: Highland Tech High

WHO SHUOLD COME:

- Anyone that uses Windows and would like to give Linux a try.

- Anyone who'd like to convert to Linux, but still has a small need for
Windows (like running Turbo Tax)

- Anyone that would like to create development environments or try out
other versions of Linux on their currently "don't wanna break"
production box.

- Anyone on either platform that wants to run a secure browser.

MORE INFORMATION:

As was previously pointed out, this isn't an Open Source product.

There are two things, however, that I'd like to point out:

- It is currently the most widely used player for emulation out there today.

- It is free to use.

That aside, I took Damien's challenge and gave a peek at Virtual Box.
It looks interesting and works on all three platforms....one of my
personal criteria for using open source software.

There are a few dependencies that I don't have on my current box and at
this point don't have the time to chase them down. If someone has this
installed and wouldn't mind talking for a few minutes about it, then
that would be great.

Additionally, if someone else has QEMU or Xen running, maybe they would
be interested in talking for a few minutes as well.

No matter what, though, we will be talking about VMWare and virtualization.

See you there!

Mike B.