[aklug] Re: GCI and two IP Addresses

From: Ron Yeager <rony@gci.net>
Date: Thu Jan 31 2008 - 12:13:30 AKST

At one time GCI tech support told me that a static IP on their network is more of a DHCP reservation for specific MAC addresses. So while it is DHCP, your MAC address always gets the same IP address, thereby making if function like a static address. My hunch is that the DHCP server would not like the idea of assigning a single MAC address two different IP addresses. Don't know, never tried that, and suspect that it would cause wacky issues. However, if one of your routers has two WAN ports (probably already thought of that), that should work.
Ron Yeager