[aklug] Re: [aklug-ops] Re: How to Make a Contribution to AKLUG

From: Arthur Corliss <acorliss@nevaeh-linux.org>
Date: Mon Jan 28 2008 - 15:58:48 AKST

On Mon, 28 Jan 2008, Greg Madden wrote:

> afaikt, Fielder is addresslng the issue of supporting the overhead of
> AKLUG now, i.e. how or where to send $$. Aklugs corporate status is
> firmly in place and has been for a few? years.

You're right, it has been around for years, but do we have any significant
accomplishments from it that we can all see that the expense was worth it?

> I don't mind revisiting issues from time to time, it is a healthy
> practise. It seems to me Arthur, you want to revisit our corporate
> status.

You're absolutely right. If we're actually doing something useful with that
status then I'd like to help support it. But if we're not doing something
useful I think it's disingenuous to recruit more lemmings to dive off the
cliff. Especially with today's economy. If AKLUG is not viable (as a legal
entity, obviously it's just fine as a group), why continue? Stop the
madness.

> All Fielder, and other officers have said is how to support our current
> structure.

And offered not one tidbit of information when I nicely asked what the
benefits of maintaining it were. Not *one* response from anyone offering
ways to glean donations. Why should any of us want to support an opaque
group of individuals who want to operate in our name but offer no visibility
into the whys, wherefores, and whatnots?

> {puts on tinfoil hat}
> Nobody has to donate anything. Unless we change the bylaws to try and
> EXclude folks :-)

:-) Your humor makes my point. Refusing to answer simple (or any)
questions "EXclude"s all the folks that aren't part of the legal cabal.

Once again: they can my financial support, but not blindly, not carte
blanche. I've paid for several AKLUG activities in the past and I could
always see what good came of it. I've been shut out of seeing what good
has come of this, here.

         --Arthur Corliss
           Live Free or Die