[aklug] Re: VMware capabilities

From: Tom Simes <simestd@netexpress.com>
Date: Mon Dec 10 2007 - 07:45:41 AKST

On Sun, 9 Dec 2007 00:16:47 -0900 (AKST)
bryanm@acsalaska.net wrote:

> VMware's front page is offering VMware Server 2.0 Beta free of charge.
> All the description I can find on their site is marketing crap that
> doesn't tell me anything useful.
>
> What can I NOT do with VMware Server 2.0 Beta?

I used VMWare back in the day when they had a single product - no
workstation or server differentiation. I think I paid around $80 for a
licence at a LISA conference. When their licencing fees increased, I
went looking for something else and found QEMU which is OSS:

http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/

I've been using it for over a year (maybe two?) and for me it has
completely replaced VMWare. For what it's worth, here is a Wikipedia
reference comparing quite a few virtual machines:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_virtual_machines

Tom