[aklug] Re: FNL Classes

From: Lee <lee@afabco.com>
Date: Wed Dec 05 2007 - 10:48:32 AKST

Most excellent. This is exactly the sort of 'detail' that is missing in most
discussions, but once overtly stated helps a whole bunch of other stuff fall into place.

This is the exactly the kind of thing I need to hear, anyway. These are just a few of
the many questions (sanitized, of course) that I have asked myself just with openldap
over the years. "what's an o? what's an ou? what exactly is a dc? ok, they are
technically interchangeable, I get it. So why do you need three (or more)? what's a
dn? when do you use a dn vs a dc vs a ??. OK, most everything is technically
interchangeable, so where do I find the conventions that are typically used.". Plus
many many more.

And of course, the fundamental question, 'why is the syntax so clumsy and so wordy and
why does there have to be so much repetition of the same info for the same thing?