Fwd: Re: Friday night, last week

From: barsalou <barjunk@attglobal.net>
Date: Sun Nov 25 2007 - 14:18:02 AKST

<Passing this along for Chris>
I guess I need to figure out how to intro myself to the listserv... I
appreciated your synopsis of the kernel build the other week. I'm a new
aklug member (or at least I signed up for the list) and have just been
reading for the last month or so.

I used to be big into it around the RH 5.3 days in '99 or so. I got quite
good running a home linux lan, hardware linux firewall, web server etc, but
have forgotten a lot. I plan on getting into the group since my divorce of
a couple years ago has given me time to fill and I hope that I can be a
regular member and contributor.

Feel free to post or forward this to the group, if not, I'll check it out
and post this tomorrow.

Nice to meet you anyway,
Chris

On Nov 24, 2007 9:22 PM, barsalou <barjunk@attglobal.net> wrote:

> I was hoping someone else was going to post something about the meeting
> from two weeks ago, but here is my take on it:
>
> Art did a great job of explaining a lot of the different issues that
> arise when building a kernel and had a fairly nice (although
> unfinished) pdf that walked through all the things he was talking about.
>
> I learned some interesting facts about initrd and initramfs and other
> "secrets" that are helpful to know if you've never built your own
> kernel. And for those of us who have built a kernel before, there was
> still plenty of meat.
>
> I think his original intention was to do a short presentation, but
> because folks seemed interested, it went a lot longer. I'm glad of
> that.
>
> We learned that we really do need the classroom, so I'll work harder at
> securing that next time around.
>
> I hope Art considers doing that same demonstration again, because he
> had a lot to offer and has a good teaching style.
>
> I'd like to encourage others to post their thoughts as well and maybe
> say what they got from the talk.
>
> For myself, I just finished recompiling 2.6.23 and partly because of
> the class, realized that I had to go back through menuconfig and turn
> some stuff on that wasn't in the same spot with the older 2.6.17 kernel.
>
> Learning new stuff is what brings me to Linux and makes me want to do
> more.
>
> Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving.
>
> Mike B.

~It is in your moments of decision that your destiny is shaped!~   -Tony
Robbins
~It is what it is.~   -Katie (my daughter)
----- End forwarded message -----
-- HTML Attachment decoded to text by Ecartis --
Hey Mike,
I guess I need to figure out how to intro myself to the listserv... I
appreciated your synopsis of the kernel build the other week.  I&#39;m a new
aklug member (or at least I signed up for the list) and have just been
reading for the last month or so.
I used to be big into it around the RH 5.3 days in &#39;99 or so.  I got
quite good running a home linux lan, hardware linux firewall, web server
etc,but have forgotten a lot.  I plan on getting into the group since my
divorce of a couple years ago has given me time to fill and I hope that I
canbe a regular member and contributor.
Feel free to post or forward this to the group, if not, I&#39;ll check it
outand post this tomorrow.
Nice to meet you anyway,
Chris
I was hoping someone else was going to post something about the meeting
from two weeks ago, but here is my take on it:
Art did  a great job of explaining a lot of the different issues that
arise when building a kernel and had a fairly nice (although
unfinished) pdf that walked through all the things he was talking about.
I learned some interesting facts about initrd and initramfs and other
"secrets" that are helpful to know if you&#39;ve never built your own
kernel.  And for those of us who have built a kernel before, there was
still plenty of meat.
I think his original intention was to do a short presentation, but
because folks seemed interested, it went a lot longer.  I&#39;m glad of
that.
We learned that we really do need the classroom, so I&#39;ll work harder at
securing that next time around.
I hope Art considers doing that same demonstration again, because he
had a lot to offer and has a good teaching style.
I&#39;d like to encourage others to post their thoughts as well and maybe
say what they got from the talk.
For myself, I just finished recompiling 2.6.23 and partly because of
the class, realized that I had to go back through menuconfig and turn
some stuff on that wasn&#39;t in the same spot with the older 2.6.17 kernel.