Xen and Centos 5

From: barsalou <barjunk@attglobal.net>
Date: Sat Nov 10 2007 - 20:38:20 AKST

So I've spent some time playing with Xen on CentOS5. It's pretty
interesting, but whenever your doing something like this, you need to
keep in mind that your gonna need some hardware to support it.

Luckily for me, I'm using a pretty beefy machine, so things run like
I'd expect them to.

As for getting the initial DomU's installed, I ended up using a mirror
site from the network. I think there must have been some sort of
problem with the DVD.iso I downloaded, because once I used the mirror
site, all went well.

So after I got my initial DomU running I set about making a "base"
config. This would be things like turning off services that CentOS
turns on by default and setting the firewall to only allow ssh access,
etc.

I'm setting up multiple VM's now so that each VM has a "service" that
it provides, a web server, DNS server, File Server, etc.

It's kinda cool to have all these "machines" running on this one box.

I'm even considering putting a Windows VM on this box, just to see if I
can do it.

What I really like about all this is, if I wanted to do some testing on
a particular setup, or wanted to upgrade the existing web server, all I
have to do is copy the vm start it up, and do an upgrade or make a
configuration change.

Fun, fun fun!

Mike B.