Re: nifty swapspace trick

From: Damien Hull <dhull@digitaloverload.net>
Date: Mon Oct 29 2007 - 12:04:13 AKDT

I don't know anything about SATA drive numbers but I do know that flash
has a limited life span. According to Wikipedia most flash drives can
take 100,000 writes. After that there are no guarantees.

100,000 writes may sound like a lot but not the way Linux does things.
I'm a little fuzzy on the details but here's what I know. Evey time
Linux reads a file it also writes something back. I think it has
something to do with date and time info. I'm not sure this applies to
swap but if it does your going to kill that flash drive a lot sooner
then you think.

If any of the above info isn't correct just let me know. I'm a little
fuzzy on the read and write stuff.