nifty swapspace trick

From: <bryanm@acsalaska.net>
Date: Mon Oct 29 2007 - 02:43:33 AKDT

I don't know if this is common knowledge or not, but I had
never heard of the idea before.

While listening in on my boss teaching a computer class, I
heard him mention that Windows Vista has a new feature that
allows you to use a flash drive as virtual memory. Since
USB (and especially USB 2.0) runs faster than a hard drive,
a flash drive is an easy way to boost your memory performance.

After rolling the idea around in my head a bit, I decided that
it might be easy to do the same thing in Linux using common
built-in tools. I had to try it to be sure, but it works!

All you have to do is:
 1) plug in the flash drive and get the system to recognize it
 2) run mkswap to quickly format it
 3) run swapon to start using it

Running 'free' will show you that you have extra memory available.

--
Bryan Medsker
bryanm@acsalaska.net