GCI, download limits, and linux updates

From: John Phelps <akz3r0@gmail.com>
Date: Sun Oct 07 2007 - 22:03:20 AKDT

I have internet with GCI, as a lot of you probably do as well and we are
subject to "download quotas" (mine is somewhere around 3.5Gigs / month)
I also run a smoothwall firewall with a squid web proxy server.
Adding the line " refresh_pattern -i .deb$ 259200 100% 259200 " to your
squid.conf will cause squid to cache all *.deb files for 6 months (259200
minutes = 180 days) and save your bandwidth. If a .deb file changes the
filename should change as well so this should pose no problem to debian
updates.

This will work with .rpm, or .mdk as well, depending on your distro, just
change .deb$ to .rpm$ or the applicable extension.

Happy bandwidth saving!

I needed this for my project The Outernet Project
<http://www.outernet.cc>as every time I install the system to bug-test
it updates the system and
downloads the same 200-300MB of data.

~John