Re: ClearWire 'no connect' procedures

From: Fielder George Dowding <fgdowding@iceworm-enterprises.org>
Date: Mon Oct 01 2007 - 13:56:20 AKDT

Karen Ciocchi wrote:
> Fielder--
>
> As a ClearWire subscriber for nearly 2 years, early on I encountered the same 'no connect' issue. The following has always worked for me:
>
> To reset Clearwire for no connection:
> 1. delete all browser's cookies & purge the cache
> 2. cold boot both the CPU and the modem
>
> Tech Support (24/7 in UT, 888.253.2794) sez an errant cookie can cause this problem, but I did not get a detailed explanation of the exact issue.
>
> If that doesn't work, do all the above plus:
> 3. disable OS' Firewall + disable Zone Alarm
> 4. disable anti-virus, spyware, etc.
>
> Once my ClearWire successflly reconnects I enable everything I disabled, and life is good (until the next time).
>
> Beause ClearWire reception is line-of-sight, my reception drops to 1-2 bars frequently whenever:
> -- it's foggy
> -- it rains too hard (like the last couple weeks)
> -- the neighbor's tree between me and the tower leafs out each summer
>
> I asked ClearWire to swap my standard 10' cable for a 30' so I could reposition the modem to a better window to consistently get the 5 bars' reception I'm paying for, but the supervisor's official answer was, "Tough."
>
> Ah, ain't customer service a beautiful thing?

Ha! Two alligators so far this morning. One down for sure but one
wounded and slithered away. So I will have to be on my toes when he
returns. =:-)}}}

Belated thanks for the note. Yes, the heavy rain seemed to degrade the
radio circuit. I am getting only three bars now whereas in the past I
could easily get four bars and sometimes five would show.

"1. delete all browser's cookies & purge the cache" I have found that
iceweasel(thunderbird) seems to have a long memory (cache). I sometimes
get a little frustrated when it refuses to update (control-R) when I
want to check the changes I have made to a web site. Cookies may be part
of the problem although I often just clear the cache to get an update. I
don't understand what this has to do with the Clearwire connection.
Perhaps this is just part of the help desk's list of things to setup so
they have a starting point to check the user's system response.

°2. cold boot both the CPU and the modem" Well, I _power_cycled_ the
modem which I guess is equivalent to _cold_booting_ the device. On my
Internet box (Debian GNU/Linux) is log in as root and ask for a new
lease from the Clearwire dhcp server. With W98, a reboot is probably
needed. I think with XP, there is a GUI button when one is looking at
the network connection dialog box.

As for 3 and 4, I am glad I use a Linux box for my Internet interface.
(shudder)

Finally, as for a longer Ethernet cable, just say how long (in feet) and
I or someone can come up with a made up cable for you. I am sure I have
a couple hundred feet or so on the cable reel someone gave me after he
finished his job. You might have to drop into the Friday Night
Laboratory Session to get it though.

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards       Debian/GNU Linux
Fielder George Dowding, Chief Iceworm        "etch" Testing