[OT] Life in Alaska

From: Kenneth D. Weinert <kenw@quarter-flash.com>
Date: Sun Sep 23 2007 - 21:40:40 AKDT

My wife always wants to plan ahead and since we're planning on moving up
in to the Homer / Soldotna area in two or three years (after our
youngest graduates from high school.)
She'd like to have some idea, from folks that have lived there a while,
what it's really like.

Things like cost of living, job prospects, that sort of thing.

We know we don't want to live as far north as Fairbanks (yes, we know
there's a lot of Alaska north of Fairbanks) but after living in Colorado
for 20+ years with more than 300 days of sunshine on the average, I
worry about her and the shorter days during the winter - another reason
for not moving very far north.

We've also talked about Seward, but on one of our visits up there it was
raining and it seems like it rained a lot and that didn't seem like it
was an unusual thing.

I really like rain, as long as I don't have to be out in it - 20 years
in the Army/National Guard sort of turned me against rain :)

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated - feel free to reply offlist
as this is definately off topic.

Thanks.

--
Ken Weinert