Re: The new and improved 3D desktop

From: Adam Bultman <adamb@glaven.org>
Date: Thu Sep 13 2007 - 09:41:21 AKDT

barsalou wrote:
> Quoting Damien Hull <dhull@digitaloverload.net>:
>

>> I want some of this.
>>
>> http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-907946638292641622&q=compiz
>> +fusion+ubuntu&total=231&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0
>>

>> ---------
>> with 'unsubscribe' in the message body.
>>

> This is very cool stuff. I wonder if my 1.3Mhz, 512mb, laptop can
> handle it? Guess I'm getting a new machine! :)
>
> Mike B.

I'll assume your laptop is 1.3GHz (1.3MHz? - AT&T must be running a
little behind in technology up here ;) and say that as long as your
video card is halfway decent, you shouldn't have too big a problem
provided you don't enable all the eye candy. My dual 1.5GHz AMD with
64MB Nvidia GeForce4 MX 440 handled it halfway decent, although there
was a "noticable" lag when doing some cpu intensive things like pulling
up th expose-style picker, or rendering the alt-tab images. My laptop
(256 MB Nvidia 660, 1.66GHz core2 duo) handles it just fine. My 2.2 GHz
workstation at home (with the same card as my laptop) does things
beautifully.

Adam