Setting up OpenLDAP

From: barsalou <barjunk@attglobal.net>
Date: Mon Sep 03 2007 - 22:28:54 AKDT

As I said before I'm using this link:

http://www.yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/LinuxTutorialLDAP.html#TUTORIAL

In my case I just did:

yum install openldap-servers

After I said yes to install dependecies this installed:
openldap-servers, openldap, openldap-devel Issuing:

service ldap start

got the server going.

You can verify that it is running by doing this:

netstat -lt

Which will give you a list of tcp services that are currently listening
for a connection. Use the netstat man page for more information.

We know, because we look in the /etc/services and ldap/tcp is port 389,
that this service, if listed in the above netstat command, is running.

An alternate way would be to do:

ps ax | grep slapd

This will show us that the slapd process is running. If none of this
proves true for you, I recommend looking in the log directory like this:

ls -ltr /var/log

The latest modified file will be listed at the bottom and give you a
possible clue as to which log file your distribution might use.
Hopefully there is some good information about why things didn't start.

I'll leave the reader with the chore of reviewing the section in the
tutorial about loading data into the server. My examples will include
root manager set as whatever was the default on my Fedora box which is
currently:

database bdb
suffix "dc=my-domain,dc=com"
rootdn "cn=Manager,dc=my-domain,dc=com"

This says that if I want to be the "root" user, I need to login with
those credentials.

In the default configuration, there is no password set, so I'm going to
leave it that way, however I have configured my firewall to block
access to the ldap server. This is a very insecure configuration, but
I'm doing this for ease of moving forward.

We will cover those items as we move forward.

Mike B.